Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Delayed Cord Clamping

It has been a while since I wrote about natural childbirth. I have been wanting to share about what I practiced (Delayed Cord Clamping and birth practices, in particular) when I gave birth to baby dragon, but lack of time got the best of me. Whenever we discuss my birthing options and plan, one of the things I was very particular about with my OB was Delayed Cord Clamping.
Delayed Cord Clamping
Source: http://tinyurl.com/o68j9jb
Delayed cord clamping is the practice of delaying cord cutting and clamping until the cord has completely stopped pulsatingabout 2-3 minutes after birth. This is to ensure that upon childbirth, blood and nutrients from the placenta are transferred to your newborn. It provides your newborn additional oxygen, iron stores, stem cells, and an increase in blood volume about1-2 months' worth of your baby's iron requirements. This is very important as iron is very crucial in preventing anemia and in aiding the brain development of infants. It is even more beneficial for preterm infants as it protects against against Sepsis and Hemorrhage. There are moms who even practice leaving the cord and the placenta attached to the newborn until it falls off on its own.



This is why during childbirth, I was very particular in timing the cutting and clamping of the umbilical cord. I feel so fortunate to have an OB-GYN who considers and understands my needs and wants. I'm glad that she   is up-to-date on modern health practices, government-mandated birthing practices, is also actively participates in seminars and workshops. You might want to consider these factors too when choosing your OB-GYN! You can read more about choosing the right OBGYN, Prenatal Tests and Costs here.

 Here are some images to illustrate how a "fully-emptied" cord should look like:
Images on the left shows an "empty cord". 
Images sources:
http://tinyurl.com/pvbfln2
http://tinyurl.com/ng68w29

If you are an expectant mom or is planning to have a baby, you should discuss Delayed Cord Clamping with your OB. According to my OBGYN, it is also a mandatory practice as per the new WHO and DOH  essential newborn care guidelines. Delayed Cord Clamping may be practiced along with early skin-to-skin contact.  Just think about what difference 3 minutes can do for your child's health!






2 comments:

  1. Just wondering, though- is this possible for those who gave birth via CS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim!

      Yes, normal and CS delivery can practice Delayed Cord Clamping :)

      According to my OB it should be a mandatory practice as per DOH guidelines.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing about you and your thoughts. I will get back to you as soon as I can, and will try to address your concerns the best way I can. Have a Happy Mommy Day! ❤

Definition List

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...