Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Let's Get Physical...in 30 minutes! Circuit Training


For as long as I can remember, I have always been such an active person. My mom told me stories of how I was like my super hyper little man when I was his age. At home and at school, I would race my friends and played all day long, with my high energy level never ceasing. In grade school and college, I played football and was a member of the Women's Varsity Football Team. We played against burly women who played the sport professionally, and against our very own Men's Team. I also played amongst a Men's Team at the University of the Philippines. I was so brimming with energy even during my pregnancy that I ended up in the hospital, twice. I was moving around too much that I had strong contractions and almost gave birth prematurely (good thing my doctor was very cautious and prevented it)! A few days after giving birth, I was already moving about, walking all the way from my hospital room to the car.


You ever know what happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object? If I were that force, I'd keep on moving, moving, moving! Now that baby dragon is old enough and the stitches from my episiotomy has fully healed, I can finally move with freedom and at full force! With the post-pregnancy fat and post-holiday bingeing weighing me down and with the limited time I have (being a full-time hands on breastfeeding mom), I wanted an exercise routine that does not require too much time, high impact, and yields impressive results. 
Kettle-bells
Shuffles

Circuit training fits my requirements so I decided to jump-start my exercise routine with it. What is circuit training? According to Wikipedia, "Circuit training is a form of body conditioning or resistance training using high-intensity aerobics. It targets strength building and muscular endurance. An exercise "circuit" is one completion of all prescribed exercises in the program. When one circuit is complete, one begins the first exercise again for the next circuit. Traditionally, the time between exercises in circuit training is short, often with rapid movement to the next exercise."
Coaches in Black.

Circuit training is a series of exercises done at short bursts or intervals (about 1 minute per exercise). There are ten stations, nine comprising of routines such as jumping jacks, push ups, shuffles, squats, etc., and the tenth being the water or cooling down station. The entire training lasts for half an hour, with three 10-minute circuits/rounds. 
A lady doing weighted squats.


What I loved about it was how fast-paced it was. I was constantly on the move! It really got my blood going and the sweat flowing. After 20 minutes, I was starting to "feel the burn" on my leg muscles. It was fun and refreshing. My adrenaline shoots up whenever the timer beeps, marking the end of every exercise, and the last few reps (whew!). For me, Circuit Training is fun IF you intend to alternate it with another form of workout. The repetitive exercises (despite the different levels) gets quite boring and "routinary".  


2 comments:

  1. I have always wondered about circuit training since you only need 30 minutes for it. Will a trainer be with you when you start with the workout? Which branch do you go to sis? IS this your first time at this gym?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a "coach" will assist you on your first run, just to get you acquainted with the routine. Afterwards, it'll just be you and the timer; unless you opt for a personal trainer. This is the Quezon City branch, which opened just last Saturday.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing about you and your thoughts. I will get back to you as soon as I can, and will try to address your concerns the best way I can. Have a Happy Mommy Day! ❤

Definition List

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...