Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Hunt for the Best Breastpump

My hunt for the best breastpump started during the early stages of my pregnancy. Early on, I have set my self  into exclusively breastfeeding my child until he weans. I did a lot of research and found out about Medela, a brand that is well known among moms as a producer of top quality breastpumps. I initially wanted to get the either of the two Medela Double Electric Pumps- the Freestyle and Pump in Style.

As luck would have it, two weeks before giving birth, my dad sent me a box full of baby stuff, a Medela Pump included. Dad, being such a clueless guy and the extremely excited grandpa that he is, just chucked some stuff and shipped the box over. Unfortunately, he sent me the Medela Spare parts instead of the real thing. Imagine my excitement and dismay. I felt like I was 5 again, expecting a new Polly Pocket playset and getting just Polly, instead. 

I badly wanted to get that pump so I went to Rustan's and decided to settle for the Medela Mini Electric. After taking into consideration several online reviews on the Mini Electric, I decided to put off buying one until I have paid the Medela House a visit. To cut the long story short, we scheduled an appointment, but did not find what we needed for the price we wanted. We decided to either just wait for dad to send me the actual pump or buy one online.

We put off buying one til we've found the best or at least a more affordable one, since I was about to give birth and hospital expenses are no joke!

Here are some Tips on Buying a Breastpump:

Electric VS Manual
If you intend to pump on a regular basis or pump at work, I suggest getting a good quality and easy-to-carry or transportable electric breastpump. You will be pumping a lot so it's best to choose one that's tough enough to handle daily or prolonged use. It's also important to get one that's light and easy to carry since you will be bringing it to work. Go for electric if you have limited time (ex: pumping in between breaks) as it expresses more milk in little time as compared to manual pumps. A lot of pumps are also convertible from electric to manual and vice versa.





Quality VS Price
If you are planning to exclusively breastfeed, invest in a good pump that worth its price. Research well and read reviews before purchasing a pump. While breastpumps can be quite expensive, always aim to get the best value for your money, without having to break out the bank. You wouldn't want to shell out P5,000 to as much as P20,000-70,000 on a pump that's of the same quality as a P5,000-P10,000 one.



Suction Power
You need a pump that has powerful suction to efficiently express milk. Electric pumps, especially hospital-grade ones have more powerful suction power as compared to manual and mini electric pumps. If you are planning to get an electric pump, look for one with adjustable suction levels, so you can adjust it to a comfortable level. As for manual pumps, some have a smaller lever which has a less powerful suction power than the main lever, to stimulate your letdown reflex.



BPA Free
BPA or Bisphenol A is a compound used in making plastics and causes negative effects on one's health. Always check the box or label before purchasing a pump or anything that is made of plastic that will come into contact with food or your child's mouth.







Single VS Double
Whether electric or manual, pumps come in double or single sided expressions. If you plan on storing a lot of milk, go for double. If you just want to pump occasionally, a single-sided expression will be enough.








I will discuss more about Electric and Manual Pumps on my next post. I hope I've enlightened and helped you wisely decide on purchasing a breastpump.

Have a Happy Mommy Day!


6 comments:

  1. helpful for new moms. my uncle bought an Avent pump for me too. single manual pump nga lang. i wished then na sana electric na lang pinabili ko. Avent and Medela are two trusted brands. you can never go wrong with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      How was your experience with the Avent single manual pump?

      Delete
  2. I have the Unimom Forte double electric breast pump. I like it very much because it does its work really well and doesn't hurt so much in the pocket. :) Good read for moms who are in search of a good pump. Kudos to all breastfeeding moms! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the great feedback, mommy Glaiza! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Seven years ago when I had my youngest (who I breastfed till he was five, seryoso, and that's while I was working ha), electric breastpumps are so hard to find (I live in Baguio). Avent does not have their electric one yet and medela cost a fortune. I used the Avent manual and it was good. I ended up buying two (plus one an officemate gave). It was so comfortable. Of course, my hands would hurt, but it was worth it. Marie here from http://www.mommyunwired.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, breastfeeding for 5 years! Kudos, mommy Marie! You are such an inspiration!

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing about you and your thoughts. I will get back to you as soon as I can, and will try to address your concerns the best way I can. Have a Happy Mommy Day! ❤

Definition List

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...