Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Getting Ready for D-Day


Getting Ready for D-Day: Prepared Childbirth Class, Hospital Bag Checklist, and Hospital Childbirth Rates



In less than two weeks, we will be welcoming our little sunshine. Being a first-time mom, I always make sure that everything is ready and set for our little boy's arrival. One of the top things on my list were the delivery and hospital preparations. Knowing John, he will definitely be scampering around anxiously and forget all the things in our “to-bring” and “to-do” list, when that day comes. I don't want him to get too stressed out on D-Day, lest he ends up in the emergency room, rather than I.



I had us enrolled in Prepared Childbirth Classes with Rome Kanapi to give us a better view of what to expect and what to do as we anticipate our little boy's arrival and during labor and delivery. The class have been such a huge help! Rome definitely helped us ease into the otherwise (insert-your-own-description-here) world of childbirth. We discussed and practiced different breathing and relaxation methods, exercises, and massages: Lamaze, daddy's role as childbirth coach and partner, childbirth, breastfeeding, diapering, newborn care, and more. I definitely recommend this to all would-be parents. Rome's classes are so much fun and all the exercises and topics gave us a better view on what to expect and prepare for on “D-Day”. I think there's just a few things about childbirth John is anxious about- coaching me through labor and delivery, and cutting the cord! He just can't seem to take his mind off the cord! Another good thing about taking Lamaze Classes is that St. Luke's has a private Lamaze/childbirth room. Which gives us privacy and a more relaxed atmosphere, as compared to being alone in the labor room, with 3-6 other wailing moms-to-be.



Two months ago, I also prepared our hospital bag. I got my traveling bag and stuffed it with John and I's toiletries, clothes, snacks, and other essentials. Here are the list of things I have in my hospital bag:


Mommy and Daddy
  • 2 sets of pajamas/ changing clothes for after delivery and going-home clothes. Although St. Luke's lets you choose whether you want to wear a hospital gown or your own clothes during labor, I prefer to wear the hospital gown (so I won't have to deal with messy laundry at home. It's more convenient and practical to use the hospital's provisions).
  • Toiletries such as bath soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotions, etc. I have extremely sensitive skin so I would rather use my own products. Also, so daddy can bathe.
  • Information Sheet containing all my information and medical records.
  • Birth Plan (more on this and the info sheet on my next post).
  • Daddy's set of clothes.
  • Bath towels and face towels for daddy and I.
  • Socks and underwear.
  • Notepad and pen.
  • Bible and Rosary.
  • Lamaze class notes.
  • Maternity pads.
  • Breastfeeding essentials: burp cloths, breast pads, Mustela Nursing Comfort Balm, breast pump, milk containers, etc.
  • Mobile Phone and camera.
  • Flavored ice cubes and lollipops (while waiting and during labor since they won't allow you to eat nor drink).
Baby
  • Baby's layette and going-home items: Newborn diapers, mittens, tie-sides, and 1 overall. (the hospital provides babies with hospital clothes and diapers upon delivery and during stay).
  • Receiving blanket
  • Cooler for breast milk storage on the way home.
    Miscellaneous
  • Thermos.
  • Water container.
  • Extra food and snacks for daddy.

Another preparation I've made early on was to discuss the rates and expenses with my OB.
I asked her for a quotation of her rates, including her team's (anesthesiologist,pediatrician, etc) professional fees. I've also inquired on delivery room fees, room rates, medicines etc. My OB quoted P 70,000-85,000 NSD/Normal Delivery, including all the hospital charges (delivery &recovery room rate, room and board: private room, baby's vaccines, rooming in, medicines & supplies, medicines & supplies for baby, OB and her team's professional fees included).




St. Luke's also offers packages to moms who have previously given birth.
These are are “all-in” packages, meaning all applicable fees are included in the total. Here are the list of packages:

Cesarean Birth
4 Bed standard (4 days): P 94,000
2 Bed standard (4 days): P 98,000

Normal Birth/NSD
4 Bed standard (2 days): P 56,000
2 Bed standard (2 days): P 58,000

*Note: Packages must be paid before expected delivery date and at least 36 weeks into pregnancy.
For more information, you may call St. Luke's Medical Center at (02) 789-7700 local 3004/3002.

There. We are pretty much all set! The countdown for baby's arrival has already begun (well, I've actually been counting for months now)! I hope all my preparations will help provide a stress-free labor and delivery for daddy! All he has to do now is grab our hospital bag and we're set!

Happy Mommy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I love hearing about you and your thoughts. I will get back to you as soon as I can, and will try to address your concerns the best way I can. Have a Happy Mommy Day! ❤

Definition List

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...